15 May 2014

Amsterdam: Shopping

As a semi-fashion-obsessed female any trips abroad should, I feel, include at least a modest exploration of the local shopping scene. Am I right, ladies? I've been back and forth to Amsterdam a number of times now, and there are a few places I always make a beeline to when in town. For anyone who's also retail-therapy inclined, I thought I'd let you know about some of the key areas worth checking out:

- De Bijenkorf. Epic department store off Dam Square. It's now part of the Selfridges Group and is full of the best Dutch and international brands.
- Kalverstraat, Leidsestraat, and Haarlemmerdijk. These are the city's most popular shopping streets featuring everything from high street favourites (Zara, H&M, etc) to independent labels, shoe stores, and a few great specialty food and coffee spots. 
- De 9 Straatjes. 'The 9 Streets' in English, this is definitely my favourite place to shop in Amsterdam. Located in a quieter part of the city full of lovely little boutiques and vintage stores,
- Pieter Cornelisz Hoofstraat. P.C. Hoofstraat is Amsterdam's luxury shopping street in the Museum quarter. Hermes, Chanel, Cartier, Louis Vuitton... it's all here. Definitely more a window-shopping kinda street for me - but hey, it doesn't hurt to dream right ;)

If anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions, I'd love to hear it! :)